Saturday, October 31, 2009

God and Weddings

My friends Thomas and Annette got married today, and I was one of the ushers. I didn't mind putting on the tux (cause i'm a stud) or setting up, or spending the entire day there. What I DID mind, however, was the overly religious ceremony. Every other word in the ceremony was "fear of god" or "in the eyes of our loving savior" etc, etc.
I played along, since it wasn't my wedding or anything. But one thing struck me as insanely hypocritical, and it always will..

Before the ceremony could even begin, he needed a signed wedding certificate from a county government before it could be "official".

Then, he says in the ceremony that god is the only thing that can ordain marriages.
If that's the case, why the piece of paper from the government? Probably because all marriage consists of is a legally binding contract between two people, right now in this state that has to be a man and a woman. It's got nothing to do with being "right in the eyes of god". It's a contract that governments recognize as legal. Without it, god's marriage is bullshit.

No comments:

Post a Comment